“Christmas is the season for kindling the fire of hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.”
Christmas Assistance Programs
We begin taking applications for Christmas assistance in late October. If you need help to provide for your family this holiday season, come see us! Please be prepared to present the following documentation:
- Picture ID for all adults (age 18 and up) in the household
- Birth certificate for all children (age 17 and under) in the household
- Social security cards for all household members
- Proof of address (utility bill or lease)
- Income verification
If you would like to donate to or volunteer for any of our Christmas programs, please call 574-233-9471.
We are excited to introduce the Angel Tree program, a popular Salvation Army tradition, to St. Joseph County! Angel Trees help Christmas donors personally provide for a needy child in the community. Wish lists include basic necessities such as clothing, school uniforms and supplies, shoes, winter items, linen, and toiletries. Watch for trees decorated with Salvation Army Angels as the holiday season approaches.
Angel Tree will kick off on November 8, 2013 at University Park Mall. Download the shopping guidelines for more information on how to get involved.
If your company is interested in sponsoring a private Angel Tree or employees, take a look at our Corporate angel Tree program.
Toys for Tots
The Salvation Army is proud to partner with the Marines’ Toys for Tots program to ensure each child we assist can open at least one toy on Christmas morning.
Interested Christmas donors are able to sponsor a whole family in need through providing food and gifts for the holidays. An intensive, personal screening process takes place to match participating families in ways that encourage positive emotional connections while preserving anonymity.
- Register online beginning in late October
- Watch for an email containing information on the adopted family (usually 1-2 weeks after registration)
- Shop! Adopters are asked to provide a minimum of 2 new gifts per child, stocking stuffers, and enough food for a holiday meal plus staples to last through the school break.
- Email an inventory of purchased items to The Salvation Army Christmas Team
- Deliver the packages to the designated site on the date determined
- Adopters also have the option to help distribute gifts during the pick-up day!
- Participate in an intensive phone interview with a member of The Salvation Army Christmas Team
- Pick up Christmas items from the designated site on the date determined
- Complete an anonymous Thank You card for The Salvation Army Christmas team to send to the Adopter
Each family signed up through our Christmas programs is guaranteed enough food for their holiday meal, plus extra staples to help keep food on the table during the winter school holidays.